Search This Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2014

What's So Awesome About Jesus? A Chapter by Chapter Study Through Mark - Chapter 9


We have been studying through Mark chapter by chapter focusing on What's so awesome about Jesus in hopes that by seeing Him either afresh or re-catching a glimpse of Who we fell in love with in the first place, our duty to Christ would turn into acts of love to Him. Our "have to's" would turn into "get-to's". Draining would become energizing. Our word for today is better. Why do we serve Him? Because He is better than anything this world has to offer. In fact He is the best! Watch the following video and see what Ben Stuart from Breakaway Ministries has to say about Him being better.

 
 
 
 
CHAPTER 9
 
1. Read Mark 8:34 - 9:1. This is how Jesus gives an altar call! How do we know it is a call to all believers, not just the apostles?
 
 
What is on the line here?
 
 
What are the three commands here?
 
1.________________________________
 
2._________________________________
 
3._________________________________
 
Read the following accounts and from these verses and tell - in your opinion - what you think it means to deny yourself.. Luke 15:21, Luke 18:9-14, Luke 23:39-43
 
 
 
Read the following verses and tell - in your opinion - what do you think it means to take up your cross? Phil. 1:21, Gal. 2:20, Col. 3:1-4
 
 
 
Look at the following verses. What are some obstacles to following Jesus?
 
John 6:60-66       
 
 
Luke 18:18-25      
 
 
Matt.8:19,20        
 
 
Matt.8:21,22        
 
 
Luke 9:61,62        
 
 
2. Read Mark 9:2-13. Jesus has just loaded them down with some hard teachings. First of all He told the disciples that He was going to Jerusalem to suffer, be rejected, die, and rise again which was so contrary to their plans that Peter actually rebuked Jesus. Secondly Jesus called Peter Satan, followed lastly by teaching that they too must die in order to live. In context, you can see the compassion of Christ that He would take His inner circle up on the mountain to see that He is worth it - or as Ben Stuart would say, "He is better". Watch the following video
 
 
What does this (loosely) have to do with the transfiguration?
 
 
A lot of principles can be learned from the transfiguration. I want to focus on, "He is better". As Peter wanted to build 3 tabernacles for Jesus, Moses, and Elijah - kind of a Christian Hall of Fame to come visit and sell tickets -  God the Father speaks from Heaven and singles out His son as the one to listen to and the other two disappear.
 
How is Jesus better than Moses (the Pharisee's hero) according to the following verses
 
Ex. 34:33-35
 
 
Numbers 20:12
 
 
John 6:30-35
 
 
Heb. 10:1 and John 1:17
 
 
How is Jesus better than the prophets (Elijah) according to the following verses
 
John 1:6-9
 
 
Matt. 13:17
 
 
What portions of the Bible are represented on the mountain? Relate this to Mark 8:37
 
 
 
 
Summary
 
This is how Jesus gives an altar call. He says number 1 - deny yourself. I see this as recognizing that I bring nothing to the table. As the hymn goes "nothing in my hands I bring, simply to the cross I cling." Unlike the Pharisee who boasted of everything he had done versus the publican who beat his chest saying how unworthy he was, the publican was accepted. The thief on the cross said "I deserve the punishment I'm getting. I deserve to die. Please remember me," and he was accepted. The prodigal son came and said, "I no longer deserve to be called your son" while the oldest son told about what a good son he was. The younger son attended the banquet while the older one didn't. Notice who is doing the accepting in these illustrations. We have turned it around in modern Christianity and made it as if we are accepting Christ. We sing songs like "The savior is waiting... why don't you let Him come in"..." to see if you're willing to open the door Oh how He wants to come in". To be honest, Jesus in this passage says that we are unworthy and deserving hell, 9:42-48, because of our sins and our eternal soul weighs in the balance of us falling on our faces before Him and admitting this and then miraculously, He will accept us. If you want more on this, A.W.Tozer writes a good treatise on this that you can find by following this link.  http://www.neve-family.com/books/tozer/AcceptChrist-1.html
 
Number two part of the altar call is - take up your cross. The cross meant death. Jesus says that you must cease to exist. Just as in marriage, those old days are gone. You now have a new identity and that is found in Jesus. Paul says, "For me to live is Christ... I am crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me... For you are dead and your life is hid with Christ in God." We will talk more about what that means in chapter ten as the disciples wrestled with that.
 
Number three is- follow me. We have seen the obstacles to that already. Some wanted comfort and a home and family. Jesus said to them "are you willing to follow me even if you never have those again? If not you can have the world but you have lost your soul" He says to the rich young ruler, "You can't have me and money, choose one or the other" God hasn't become a part of our life or our co-pilot, He is our life. He is our pilot taking us wherever He wants to go. So many people tell me when I ask them if they are Christians, "I wouldn't have made it this far without the Lord." What does that mean anyway? I am afraid it means "Yes, I have "accepted" Christ into my life and as I go about "my" life I occasionally get into bad fixes and He has gotten me out of them time after time." You see, that is not the altar call Jesus is giving.
 
So why would we want to give up our lives and unconditionally follow Him? Because He is worth it. He is the Pearl of great price. He is Better than anything else, and He shows this on the mountain. He takes off His human shell for just an instant and they see His glory. Unlike Numbers 4:20 and 1Sam. 6:19 (and Raiders of the Lost Ark) Peter, James, and John looked on the glory of God and lived. Even Moses could only see the backside of His glory and live. Jesus came to bridge the gap between sin and God's glory and that was seen on the mount. Peter wanted to build tabernacles for Jesus, Elijah, and Moses but God quickly removed them from the picture and said that Jesus was superior to them. Moses glowed like the moon, Jesus glowed like the sun. Moses brought the law which brought death. Jesus brought grace which brings life. Moses sinned, Jesus didn't. Moses couldn't bring them into the promised land, Jesus could. Elijah was one of many prophets with miraculous power given to them by God. Jesus was the source of the power. Elijah was one of many prophets pointing to Christ - Jesus was the one all the prophets were pointing to.
 
Imagine you were at Ruth Chris' steak house dumpster diving late one night and the owner came out and saw you and asked, "What are you doing"? You said, "I'm broke and my family needs food so I'm bringing some home." The owner says, "Come eat inside from now on and bring your family" For a week you do that but soon you don't show up any more because you prefer eating out of the garbage! Crazy, huh? Well that is what Jesus is warning about here. He is saying," you are eating out of the dumpster and at my cost I am offering you something so much better. Sure you might have to take a bath and change your clothes but those inconveniences are miniscule to the blessings available to you and your family." Let me encourage you, Stop dumpster diving!
 
Father, Thank you for rescuing me from a life eating out of the garbage. Help me continue to discern between what is from your hand and what Satan is using to suck me back in. Help me not to long for this world because frankly there is something inside of me wanting to pull me back in and think I am missing something by following You. Thank You for Your Spirit inside me that aligns itself with You. Help me to listen to Him. Amen
 
 
 
    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
             

 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment