Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Going Beyond New Year's Resolutions

   I read a verse the other day that got me thinking about this; 

  "Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe." Prov. 29:25

      What are your New Year's resolutions this year? Lose weight (yes), work out more (yes), get healthier, quit smoking, be a better husband/wife, be a better dad/mom, start a retirement/college fund, get a better job ...   Maybe you have some "sanctified" resolutions; get more involved in church, read through the Bible in a year, lead someone to Christ, start family devotions (PLEASE!), take your prayer life to the next level...

     Although all the above are good and I believe pleasing to the Lord, my question is this - Why are you(we) making those resolutions? Look deep inside and ask "Why am I losing weight?" "Why do I want to be a better mom/dad?" "Why am I going to get more involved in church?"
     WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO PLEASE? In light of the above verse, if it is done for anyone other than the Lord it will prove to be a snare. What do I mean by a snare? How about increasing guilt and anxiety and decreasing self-image and worth when you never live up to your expectations which all of us have set so high we can never attain. Or your spouse's expectations? Do you think you can ever live up to those? Or your kids? Or your boss's? Or your church's?  Do you realize that you can witness to people or have a quiet time, just so you can feel better about your Christian life? That is a snare.WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO PLEASE?

   Paul writes in 2Cor. 5:9-15;
 9 So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.
 11 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade others. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. 12 We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. 13 If we are “out of our mind,” as some say, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. 14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

   Jesus states in Matthew 11:28-30
 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

So this year, as you make resolutions, ask Why am I making these? Who am I trying to please? Don't let these be a "snare" but rather a freeing experience as you seek to please the One who thinks you are so amazing he adopted you into his family despite knowing everything you have ever done in your life (and every bad thing you are going to do in the future) - he picked you. That is a burden that is light! Pleasing Him is THE goal and THE reason to make resolutions. Have a Christ centered New Year!

1 comment: