Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2016

Thoughts on 1 Peter - Day 22


                                 1 Peter 5:1-3

To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.

      So, I've been an elder in the past at a PCA church. We had ruling elders which were me and 4 or 5 other men and a teaching elder. We were in charge of shepherding the body which was a very involved task especially when your pastor goes on sick leave to never come back and you are in charge of holding the body together and overseeing them while being without a pastor for 2 years. But that's another story for another day. All I can say about that is that I was too young and immature for the job. Now I am elder and not an elder. But I am somewhat responsible for a Sunday School class of approximately 30 people and shrinking fast. People always tell me I'm a great teacher but I sure can shrink every class I teach. What are Peter's instructions to me in this passage?

    #1 Shepherd people.  Get into their lives. Call them during the week.  Visit them. Know specifically what to pray for. I am doing a rotten job of this! And then Peter says, the worst thing to do,  now that I know that I am doing a rotten job, is feel guilty and start doing more. No, he says do it not out of guilt because I have to but rather do it because I love and care for these people.

   #2. Be an example to them. I need to model what I teach. I can't get lazy in my prayer life and indeed I need to be meeting with them for prayer. I can't get slack in my bible study and I need to study with them. If I teach on witnessing, visiting, serving the poor,  I need to be doing this and taking them along with me. How can I expect them to get on fire if I am not?

   #3. Show humility to them. Even though I am older and have a position of authority,  I need to demonstrate that they are more important than me. I am equal with them at the foot of the cross. If I portray that my time is more important than their's or my knowledge, status, ideas, marriage, children are better than theirs, I have blown it.

Lord, I have never been a good elder, I confess.  My life is too consumed with me, my marriage, my kids,  my grandkids, and my free time.  Lord, I want to do better. Increase my love for others mostly. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment