Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Thoughts From Luke - Day 16


                                       Luke 4:14-21

Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. 15 He was teaching in their synagogues, and everyone praised him.
16 He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17 and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19     to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
20 Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

     When Jesus reads this passage from Isiah, it refers to Himself. Do you ever read portions of scripture that refer to you? You read it and you say, "2500 years ago that passage was put in there just for me".? Sometimes that could be a bad thing like in the case of Judas "Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me." Ps. 41:9 Sometimes it is a good thing as with the case of Matthias who replaced Judas, "...may another take his place of leadership." Ps. 109:8 or Cyrus who is literally named,  "who says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd and will accomplish all that I please; he will say of Jerusalem, “Let it be rebuilt,” and of the temple, “Let its foundations be laid.”’Isa. 44:28

     I have 2 of those passages. Since these daily thoughts are meant to be brief I will recount one.
          Psalm 35 (selected verses)
Contend, Lord, with those who contend with me;
    fight against those who fight against me..
may those who plot my ruin
    be turned back in dismay.
Since they hid their net for me without cause
    and without cause dug a pit for me,
11 Ruthless witnesses come forward;
    they question me on things I know nothing about.
12 They repay me evil for good
    and leave me like one bereaved.
15 But when I stumbled, they gathered in glee;
    assailants gathered against me without my knowledge.
    They slandered me without ceasing.
16 Like the ungodly they maliciously mocked;
    they gnashed their teeth at me.
18 I will give you thanks in the great assembly;
    among the throngs I will praise you.
19 Do not let those gloat over me
    who are my enemies without cause;
do not let those who hate me without reason
    maliciously wink the eye.
20 They do not speak peaceably,
    but devise false accusations
21 They sneer at me and say, “Aha! Aha!
    With our own eyes we have seen it.”
23 Awake, and rise to my defense!
    Contend for me, my God and Lord.
24 Vindicate me in your righteousness, Lord my God;
    do not let them gloat over me.
25 Do not let them think, “Aha, just what we wanted!”
    or say, “We have swallowed him up.”
26 May all who gloat over my distress
    be put to shame and confusion;
may all who exalt themselves over me
    be clothed with shame and disgrace.
27 May those who delight in my vindication
    shout for joy and gladness;
may they always say, “The Lord be exalted,
    who delights in the well-being of his servant.”
28 My tongue will proclaim your righteousness,
    your praises all day long.

I found this Psalm in the midst of a malpractice case against me where I was being sued over twins dying inside the mom at 32 weeks back in 1990. It was the worst thing to happen to me ever because, well frankly, I felt like people were accusing me of murder, being a bad doctor, not caring, etc. in front of a host of onlookers and not only that but I had to anticipate this week in my life for 2 years in coming. So there I sat, day after day ,with my wife, being accused of wrong doing when all I wanted to do was help this poor patient. I felt attacked, slandered, belittled, lied against by paid, ruthless, "expert" witnesses, and couldn't say a thing for a number of days. Finally my chance came to take the stand. I saw something amazing happen; these prosecutors became confused - they had a hard time framing questions. They would ask questions and my defense attorney kept objecting until finally the judge had to tell them how to ask the question. Then they would think they had me at times, it was like they were saying "Aha, we've got him now", but when the truth was told, they would have to pursue other areas. In the end I was vindicated in under 30 minutes deliberation and the prosecutors, one of whom was saved after this case, because he saw a difference in us and wondered what it was. So in the end God was glorified both in this man's life and in the church where I attended where I got to stand up and share the vindication of the Lord and this Psalm.

   How about you? Have you claimed a portion of God's word that was especially written about you? I hope you don't have to go through a bad experience like me to find it, but if you do, it is well worth it!

    Thank you Lord that your word is timeless and that You have included me in it. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment