Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

My Top 10 Christian Albums of 2016


                                     My Top 10 Christian Albums of 2016

         As usual there were plenty of other great albums put out this year like One Republic, Judah and the Lion, Ben Rector, JohnnySwim, Paper Route, Gawvi,  who are professed Christians but, although may have some spirituality in their albums, have put out albums that wouldn't be perceived as Christian per se (by my definition). Therefore they aren't included in my list. So here goes..

10.
 probably wins best cover of the year. A throwback to early 70's Christian rock when it all began. Love this.

9.



         This is the year of the worship album, or else it's just that our church finally started a contemporary worship service and I am not denying myself of this music anymore to keep me from being discontent. Anyway, Mosaic MSC has some outstanding songs.

8.

        Matthew Parker put out a great album here. Unfortunately, the songs aren't "Christian" enough (by my definition since it's my blog) to put up higher. Maybe as I listen closer, I will analyze the lyrics more and move it up.

7.
 
Just when I thought RelientK was dead, after their last terrible less than Christian album, they return to their old greatness - although not as overtly Christian as their older works which are classics. That's why I can't rank it higher although quality wise it certainly deserves a higher ranking.
 
6.
 
Vertical Church Worship Band is the worship band of the year with this album. There were multiple other great efforts with Chris Tomlin, Passion, Brian & Katie Torwalt, Elevation worship, and Mosaic MSC, but this album surpasses them all.
 
5.


 
The Digital Age, David Crowder's back up band, put out their second album. Although arguably not as good as their first one, still good enough to make #5. Not included on this is their recording sessions of "Oceans" which is really good. Check it out on YouTube
 
4.
 
Group 1 Crew was one of my most anticipated releases this year because they seem to keep improving both individually and collectively. This album didn't disappoint with a number of good, catchy, radio friendly songs.
 
3.
 
Did, I mention David Crowder? His second album has found his style. He feels more comfortable in this album than his first and this one incorporates a little rock and rap with his hillbilly style. Good stuff. A lot of other years this would have been #1. But... 
 
2.
 
Needtobreathe put out a classic with Hard Love. Probably the most talented Christian band that has tremendous cross-over appeal is, in my view, hampered only by their lack of boldness for Christ in their lyrics, concerts, and interviews.
 
1.
 
They just keep getting better. Bold lyrics and still crossover appeal. Nothing else was close to this.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment