Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Thoughts From Luke - Day 82


                                           Luke 19:11-27


11 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once.12 He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’
14 “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’
15 “He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.
16 “The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’
17 “‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’
18 “The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’
19 “His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’
20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’
22 “His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’
24 “Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’
25 “‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’
26 “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”


        Whether people on Earth want to recognize it or not, Jesus does sit on the throne and He is coming back someday soon to judge the living and the dead. He will judge the Christians and reward them on the basis of what they have done on Earth with what He has given us and maybe even, on the basis of that, determine our job in Heaven or the Millenial kingdom? It's possible. You never want to read too much into parables but some have intuited this from this passage. What has He given me? How about 4 kids and 5, so far, grandchildren. Have I poured Christ into them or been more concerned about them being a successful citizen of this Earth. How about my profession? Have I used the platform of being a doctor more than just to earn a living? How about the money? Doctors make good money. Am I using it to advance the kingdom? How about my Spiritual gifts? Am I serving in a body with these gifts or just cruising through life as a weekly church attender. (Side note - If you are attending a church more than 30 minutes away from home, chances are that all you are doing is attending). This judgement is not to condemn or punish but rather like an end of the year award ceremony at the middle school or High School. My kids would get to stand up, go forward in front of hundreds of on-lookers and get math awards, science awards, athletic awards, scholarships, principals awards and others and get applauded. (Mainly courtesy applause, I'm sure) Some call this the Bema Seat judgement.

        Then there is the Great White Throne judgement seat. Unbelievers get judged here. Skeptics have a hard time with this one. "My God wouldn't send anyone to Hell." "My God is a God of love." I see it as God has patiently waited 6000 years, while people mock Him, reject Him, and even kill His only Son and finally, with tears in His eyes He will say to them, "Have it Your Way. You never wanted me in life, I won't force myself on you in the afterlife." He will send them to a place where there is no God called Hell. This is terrifying because anything good in life is from God. In fact He showers so much common grace on us that we are horrified when evil rears its head and people then get mad at God and say "couldn't He have stopped that?!" Can you imagine an eternity like that where only evil is present? God has done everything ,outside of violating your free will to choose, to prevent this scenario from playing out in your eternity. I'm eternally grateful He has and I will not have to go through this judgement because I have surrendered my life to Him. I want Him as my king on Earth and I want Him as my King for all eternity. Have you done this? You need to and quickly because the King is coming back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment