Search This Blog

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Thoughts From Hebrews - Day 20


                                               Hebrews 7:20-28

And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, 21 but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:
“The Lord has sworn
    and will not change his mind:
    ‘You are a priest forever.’”
22 Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantor of a better covenant.
23 Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; 24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
26 Such a high priest truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. 27 Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. 28 For the law appoints as high priests men in all their weakness; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever.


              Everything changes and I hate it. Just when I get familiar with things at the hospital, they change them. The other day they changed the name of the wireless sign in and the passcode and I had to hunt to find things. They are going to change the charting system to all computerized. They changed to latex free in the OR and the gloves decrease dexterity which for someone who isn't that dexterous in the first place, that's a big deal. I went to the store and everything has changed locations. Why? Not only that but they discontinued peppermint oreos and dark chocolate Lays potato chips. I went home, went to Tim Keller's site and they changed it and I can't find my old downloaded messages. I ate some white chili last night and woke up with severe gas pains. I went to look for the Beano but it was no longer in the same cupboard because we got new cupboards and that one now holds coffee. In the past, I used to get so many Christmas cards at work that I could tape them to my door and fill the door. Two weeks from Christmas, I have 3. I mentioned it to my son and he said, "Oh yeah, my generation doesn't do Christmas cards." I used to get all kinds of Christmas treats, too, but I guess his generation doesn't bake either.

          OK, maybe I don't hate all changes because some are definitely for the better. It's just that the process of learning something new takes time and can be frustrating until you master it - then once you do, they will change it again. I am currently typing on an old computer because if I upgrade, I will have to transfer all my programs, files, and possibly learn a new operating system. Once I do, I know I would be very pleased but the thought of that change is anxiety provoking. Therefore I have to keep x-ing out of a screen that wants me to upgrade! Don't you just wish the next time you change something it would be perfect and never need changing again?

           See, that is what is going on here in Hebrews. The Old Covenant was good but needed improvement. It had big flaws unless you enjoyed going to the temple every day, slicing a sheep's neck, getting blood all over you, only to find out it never really worked. Thus Christ came and brought a New Covenant that worked, was perfect, permanent, complete, and forever and will never need changing. Problem was that people back then, like me today, are resistant to change even though in this case the change was needed. Therefore they kept wanting to go back to their old covenant because of the comfort level there or not even entertain the thought of changing. Today is the same. People are depressed, anxious, restless, fearing death, without hope, carrying guilt of past mistakes - yet when offered a new life, the change is too great. That's why John says, "The man who has accepted this has certified that it is true." In other words, when you take the leap and head into the unknown and new through faith, then you will know it is true and worth it but it takes leaving your "dis"comfort zone.

          I have found something permanent and His name is Jesus. I'm not going to arrive at the gates of Heaven someday and be told that the requirements have changed. They have been satisfied once and for all. And the requirement is easy - coming to God through Jesus by faith. It's easy but it takes a complete change - a complete 180. That's what repentance means. Are you willing to make that change or do you want to stay in your dis-comfort zone? The choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment