Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2023

Thoughts on Hebrews - Chapter 2

                                                       Hebrews 2:1-3

 We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. For since the message spoken through angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation?

                  I remember growing up in Church and I would often ask my Dad after the service, "What did you think of the message?" I had multiple reasons for asking him. Sometimes it was a pre-emptive strike.  In other words, ask him before he asked me because my mind had wandered. Sometimes it was because I didn't get anything out of it I wanted some validation that yes it was wanting. Most of all I valued his opinion and maybe I could have him summarize some truths that I may have missed (while I was looking at girls). I can remember him saying more than once, "It was a good salvation message, and I hope some unsaved people were there" which of course rarely happens at Sunday PM services or midweek prayer meetings. His underlying point was, "I'm saved already, I don't need to hear how to be saved, let's have some meat." Now I, too, have echoed this sentiment and I must say, I'm starting to rethink it. In fact the writer of Hebrews is warning us don't ignore this salvation or you will start to drift away.

               Not only does the writer of Hebrews emphasize to fellow believers not to ignore the salvation message but this is how Paul formulated his epistles. Ephesians 1-3, Collosians 1-2, Romans 1-11 all describe the gospel and then the remaining chapters then tell us in light of the gospel, here is how you should live.

                How does recounting the gospel keep us from drifting away? As we are tempted to fall back into sin we are reminded that Jesus horrendously suffered and died for that sin. Why would we even entertain it. As I'm tempted to worry about tomorrow I can tell myself, "At least I'm not being crucified." As i have worries about health, sickness, death, I remind myself that Jesus rose from the dead to defeat death and prepare a new sickness free body. As i think, why hasn't God done anything for me lately, I'm reminded that He gave His son for me, what else do I want? When I'm tempted to get revenge or hate people I'm reminded that Jesus said "Father forgive them, they know not what they do."  When we are tempted to think, "Is there another way?", we were reminded that Jesus asked the same thing and the answer was "no."

                 So never get tired of hearing how to be saved. In fact, think of creative ways to share it and memorize verses that explain it from both the Old Testament and the New. It will keep you from drifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment