18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. John 21:18,19
The night before Herod was to bring him to trial, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries stood guard at the entrance. 7 Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. “Quick, get up!” he said, and the chains fell off Peter’s wrists.8 Then the angel said to him, “Put on your clothes and sandals.” And Peter did so. “Wrap your cloak around you and follow me,” the angel told him. 9 Peter followed him out of the prison, but he had no idea that what the angel was doing was really happening; he thought he was seeing a vision. 10 They passed the first and second guards and came to the iron gate leading to the city. It opened for them by itself, and they went through it. When they had walked the length of one street, suddenly the angel left him. Acts 12:6-10
When I was maybe 12 years old I met this kid named Bill. He was several years older than me and we became good friends. One day he brought out a Ouija board, and we asked it lots of questions. I in subsequent years was informed these are demonic and not to mess with them but on this day we had a lot of fun with it. Bill asked it how old he would be when he died and it said 49. I always remembered that because if that was me, when my 49th birthday came along, I would have been wondering all year when it would happen. That's why I didn't ask it that for me. I've since seen him on Facebook and he is well past 49 which tells me that either the devil doesn't know the future nor control it or Ouija boards don't work. Either way, he is alive and well. While I was looking on the negatives of knowing the year of my death, what would be the positives? I could enlist in the military, go overseas and hunt Al Quieda without fear of getting killed. I'd be a fearless American war hero knowing I was invincible until 49. I could participate in every Life Insurance disclaimer activity without fear.
God's word is infinitely more certain than a Ouija board. He told David that he would be king so since he wasn't yet, David knew he was invincible against Goliath. He told Peter that he would live until an old age in John 21 and therefore, even though his friend James was killed by Herod and he was next on the chopping block, Peter could sleep so soundly the night before that he thought he was dreaming an angel delivering him and found himself in the middle of the road. Good thing there weren't cars back then.
What promises of God are you claiming? God's promises always come true because He never lies and He controls the future. His promises should be taking away fear and anxiety from our lives, so if you are struggling with these, you probably aren't trusting God. Read your Bible. Know His word. He never fails unlike a Ouija board.
No comments:
Post a Comment