Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Abortion and God's Omniscience

        Over the past few weeks I have been reading through Jeremiah. I saw a phrase once and I put a "?" next to it in my Bible because it seemed peculiar to me. Then a few chapters later I saw it again and I thought, "that's odd." But when I saw it a 3rd time I said, "I need to study this one." I cross referenced this phrase throughout the Bible and only found it 3 times - all in Jeremiah. And what is this odd phrase? I'll show you the verses.

Jeremiah 7:31 (New International Version)

31 They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire—something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.

Jeremiah 19:5 (New International Version)

5 They have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as offerings to Baal—something I did not command or mention, nor did it enter my mind.

Jeremiah 32:35 (New International Version)

35 They built high places for Baal in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to sacrifice their sons and daughters [a] to Molech, though I never commanded, nor did it enter my mind, that they should do such a detestable thing and so make Judah sin.

                   Do you see the phrase - "nor did it enter My mind". This is God talking and He is saying there is one thing so terrible, so evil, so heinous, so debase that an omniscient, all-knowing God didn't even consider it; and that is the killing of one's own children offering them to another God. Now we don't have Molech today. We don't have Baal today. What gods would we consider killing our kids for? How about Pride - I'm so ashamed, what would the neighbors think?, what would the youth group think? what would the relatives think? How about Comfort - a child would really cramp my style. I'm just a teen, I've got a lot of fun ahead of me. How about Wealth - I need to go to college, I need to get a good career, I've got to make some money. I can't afford to raise a baby. So what people do is offer up their babies to the gods of pride, comfort, and wealth and kill them.
                Obviously, the argument to this is -a fetus isn't a baby and that is an argument for another day. Also, I'm not arguing the traditional view that God knows everything. "Never entering My mind" is probably just a humanizing phrase about God comparable to resting under His wings doesn't mean God has wings. But I still found it intriguing how killing children seems to be the lowest behavior for mankind and how disgusted God is with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment