Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

My Top Albums of 2010

#7  Jaymes Reunion
 The strength of this album is the melodies. They are catchy, easy to sing along to, and just well done. I wish it would be stronger lyrically and more "Christian". You won't be blessed listening to this album but you will enjoy a number of the songs. Even though it isn't overtly "Christian" it is "safe for the whole family". Good introductory album; hope they can build on it.

6. Ben Rector
 Easy listening introductory album with insightful lyrics and catchy tunes. Once again not overtly "Christian" but songs like "Moving Backwards" give great insight into the Christian life without alienating non-christian listeners. If you like Bebo Norman, Warren Barfield, Sean McDonough, etc. you will really like this album.

5. Third Day
 Not their best but when they are good, they are REALLY good. I thought about not including this in my top 7 but I know I will be listening to this one, or some of its songs, long after I am tired of Jaymes Reunion  and Ben Rector. Third Day is unique as are the rest of these top 5. If you hear them on the radio you say "thats Third Day." If someone asks you who they sound like you say "um, Third Day?" We need more Christian bands like that!

#4. LeCrae
 Christian rap that even a 55 year old white guy can love. Great words, overtly "Christian", 17 songs (I think) so if you don't like one go to the next and you will probably like it. And I think for Christian rap it is totes "legit". (Kids, did I use those words correctly?)

#3. TobyMac
 OK, say what you will about TobyMac, the driving force of DCTalk, and his ?4th album. Yes he is probably getting too old to act this young, yes he has settled into a comfortable formula,yes quit promoting your kid as your successor, yes his concerts look eerily similar - I don't care. There is noone like him anywhere, he doesn't compromise on his faith, he hasn't sold out, and he just writes good music. His albums are a treat, well worth listening to over and over (with the volume up), invigorating, great for getting psyched up to, and becoming more and more radio friendly. Whats not to like? I'd name a kid after him.

#2 House of Heroes
 A peculiar pick for this high, I will admit, but these guys are unique and amazingly talented. Vocals, harmony, song writing like nothing else out there. Non-formulaic (3 verses a chorus and a bridge - ha) these often break into rock operas. There are Christian themes throughout but not enough to alienate an unbeliever (Is that good or bad?). Still, such a treat for the ears and such a work of art it has to be way up there.

#1 The Rocket Summer

 I've been waiting for him to make this album. Boldly Christian, well accepted by secular audiences, a prodigy that plays all the instruments on the album along with vocals, this album is clearly my #1. Yes it has a few throw away songs, but what I really like about Rocket Summer is the passion behind his music. I feel it when he sings, he moves me. It's not like he is just adding vocal tracks like so many artists. In a sub-par year for music, this album stands out. You will like it because it sounds like ... um....um...um    
   

2 comments:

  1. who is sean mcdonough? also, i don't think you can say that christian rap is legit if you haven't listened to anything besides christian rap.

    -the family cynic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Shawn MacDonald who comes out with a new album 3/22 BTW

    ReplyDelete