Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2016

Thoughts on Romans - Day 4


                                                 Romans 2:1-11
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.


        OK, it's true- I have been accused of being judgmental, not showing grace, self righteous, etc. It's not something I'm proud of but well earned and hopefully improving over the years. When you grow up in a Christian family in a Fundamental Bible teaching church, you can usually avoid all those sins mentioned in Romans 1. The problem is that we tend to look with disdain on those Romans 1 people and judge our spirituality not by what we do but by what we don't do. Romans 2 evens the playing field.

        Romans 2 says that it is not my actions only that makes me righteous or unrighteous but what is going on in my mind. If I am condemning someone for a behavior, first of all I am putting myself in the place of God. Just call me Lucifer. Secondly, chances are I am guilty of the same sin and deserve my own judgement. For example, if someone is having an affair Jesus would say if I looked at someone lustfully then I am committing adultery in my own heart. Look at that person with that expensive boat - shouldn't they give their money to the poor, yet I am coveting their lifestyle. I am always reminded of this when I see packages sticking out of people's mailboxes and being jealous that they are getting something I'm not! Weird, huh? As I start to realize what is in my heart and how nasty it is, I can start showing Romans 1 people grace and being less judgmental when people mess up. Tim Keller says that the same seeds of people's heinous behavior and sins are in your heart, too - they just haven't been watered.

        One of the passages in the Gospels that speaks to me more and more the older I get is when Simon (a different Simon) invites Jesus to his house and is appalled that a prostitute is washing Jesus' feet. Jesus, knowing his thoughts (Romans 2) tells him a parable about 2 people whose debts are forgiven - one a huge sum and one a small sum. Jesus asks Simon which would love the forgiver more. Simon correctly answers the one with the larger sum. Jesus then proceeds to bust Simon's chops because he has shown no love for Jesus at his house really because Simon hasn't been a Romans 1 person. So not only are we Romans 2 people judgmental (usurping God's place), self righteous and proud, alienated from a ministry to "those" people, but we are in danger of having a low level of Love for God. No wonder I can go a day without thinking about God. Well enough about me - what about you...?
       Lord, You attracted those Romans 1 people and I repel them. Help me to continue to see the depths of my sinful heart and the extent of your grace poured out on me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment