Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Thoughts on Romans - Day 5


                                               Romans 2:12-24
12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
17 Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and boast in God; 18 if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; 19 if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of little children, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— 21 you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22 You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who boast in the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? 24 As it is written: “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

              The 4th commandment is "Don't take the Lord's name in vain". Most of us would say that means don't cuss and I was even taught that saying Gosh, Jeez, Gee-whiz, Golly were euphemisms and should not be said either. Not to take away from that but also look at the end of this passage -"God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.” In other words if I identify myself as a follower of Christ, and I don't live like a follower of Christ, I am defaming or making a mockery of His name. I am  dragging His name through the mud. How am I in danger of doing that?

    Number one - stealing. How do my employees view me? Do they think I'm generous or do they think I'm stealing from them- that I am making myself rich off them? This is tough because our human nature is to never be satisfied so more than likely my workers will always feel underpaid. The question is do they feel like I am stealing from them and I hope and pray not because they will then say "if that's a Christian, I don't want it". We can't take advantage of getting free stuff, we must tell people when we are undercharged, declaring income, lying to insurance companies, saying our kids are a younger age for discounts... money is nothing compared to keeping people from God by any questionable monetary move we make.

     Number 2 - adultery. There is no quicker more definitive way to lose your ministry than to cheat on your spouse. You become that salt that Jesus says is thrown out to be trampled on because it has lost it's saltiness. That isn't to say that we as the church should treat people that way but we do need to treat them then with a certain modesty that Paul talks about in 1Cor. 12. God isn't done with you but you have just become another reason to reject Christ. And what about your internet history? If someone were to confiscate your computer, what would they find? What about your phone? Have you been inappropriately texting someone?

    Number 3 - idolatry. What have I put above Christ? If I have put something ahead of Him, the world will see that God isn't sufficient. Do I miss Church for vacations, sporting events, sales, family visits, etc. Our kids will see that God is ranked below #1 and His glory will be lessened in their eyes. Our neighbors who we are witnessing to will see that God doesn't mind sharing His glory and see a false Christianity and be led astray.

        Jesus says that if you cause someone to reject the gospel because of you it would be better to have a millstone tied around your neck and thrown into the sea. Do I take my representation of Christ to a lost world that seriously? I hope so

         Lord, I live in a small town where everyone sees everything I do. Help me to stay above reproach for the glory of Your name and in order to lead people into Your kingdom. Amen





                  

No comments:

Post a Comment