Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Thoughts on Romans - Day 23



                                         Romans 8:31-39
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written:
“For your sake we face death all day long;
    we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
 
              I probably watched a movie I shouldn't have last night, The Last Witch Hunter starring Vin Diesel. I guess I just like Vin Diesel in roles like Riddick where he is the sci-fi tough guy so even a rotten tomatoes score of 17 did not deter me. Plus my wife and sister -in-law were in the other room watching the Bachelor so Monday night is movie night for me. There were multiple bad messages in the movie such as there are good witches and if good and evil would work together we could make this world a better place. The one take away that relates to this passage was that Vin, when he killed the head evil witch was cursed with immortality - he could never die. Thus 800 years later, a now bald Vin Diesel, who in real life also never seems to age (as I have often said, the secret to not aging is look old at a young age) hunts bad witches and keeps the balance between good and evil. Since he can't die, he states that he is not afraid of anything. Even fear potions don't work on him.
 
            This passage is all about not being afraid. First of all, we have the Holy Spirit in us who is a down payment of eternal life. He will never leave us and therefore if we die we go straight to Heaven. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZWTMT0V1Y We, like Vin are immortal so why fear??
 
           Secondly, no matter how I mess up, like watching bad movies, God loves me so much that He sent His Son to die for me. If He loves me that much is He going to change His mind and give up on me? I remember being in med school and it was so hard that I would fear every test. The one consolation I always had, though, was that I was told by students grades ahead of me that they never flunk anyone out. (not much consolation if you are a patient, huh?) They did such an intense screening process to get the best students and spent so much on training per student that they were committed to me graduating. They would lose money if I didn't succeed. Likewise, after God "spent" His only Son, He is all in with me. He will not give up on me. He is committed to my success which is more than just Heaven - it is becoming like His Son.

           Lastly, I have picked the winning side. God wins and I am on His team. Therefore, anyone that mocks me, accuses me, questions my Biblical view of life are just white noise - haters. Why listen to them or bow down to them or try to impress them? This is one of my pet peeves lately as we keep trying to change or dumb down the Bible to play to the haters so we can win them over by looking "intelligent" like them. Just feel bad for them as they have been duped by Satan. Love them, pray for them, reason with them but don't bow down to them. Don't change what you believe for them. There is an obscure passage in Jude where Satan and God are in a battle for Moses' soul. You can imagine Satan saying, "He struck the rock! He didn't get admitted to the promised land. He murdered an Egyptian and hid his body in the sand! I claim him." All the angel Michael said was "The Lord rebuke you" and took his soul to Abraham's bosom. God didn't even honor Satan with His presence. He sent one of His angels with a message saying, "He is mine" and didn't even give Satan an explanation. Why? Because He wins. And we win, too.

         Lord, deliver me from fear, anxiety, doubt and being ashamed. Help me stand boldly, confidently, compassionately, and humbly before a world duped by Satan. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment