Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Thoughts on Romans - Day 29



                                               Romans 11:1-10
I ask then: Did God reject his people? By no means! I am an Israelite myself, a descendant of Abraham, from the tribe of Benjamin. God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew. Don’t you know what Scripture says in the passage about Elijah—how he appealed to God against Israel: “Lord, they have killed your prophets and torn down your altars; I am the only one left, and they are trying to kill me”? And what was God’s answer to him? “I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace. And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.
What then? What the people of Israel sought so earnestly they did not obtain. The elect among them did, but the others were hardened, as it is written:
“God gave them a spirit of stupor,
    eyes that could not see
    and ears that could not hear,
to this very day.”
And David says:
“May their table become a snare and a trap,
    a stumbling block and a retribution for them.
10 May their eyes be darkened so they cannot see,
    and their backs be bent forever."


                I tend to get discouraged in sharing the gospel thinking, "what's the use?" "No one gets it". It is easy to do in the Bible belt where everyone has been "vaccinated" to Christianity. They get "saved" around here at an early age at VBS, or revivals, or church camps, etc. Even the Gideons are allowed in the schools to pass out Bibles. At a young age, kids receive, like a vaccine, an inactive form of Christ quite often so that when the real thing comes along that affects the whole body, they fight it off. That's why, almost every time I witness to a single mom or a single girl wanting birth control , they tell me they are already saved and aren't convicted in the least about their behavior. I'm sure Paul had similar thoughts with the Jews. Here is God's chosen nation, the "saved" people, the "Old Testament Belt", and they just don't get it.

            Here is how Paul kept from being discouraged. He told himself, "there is a remnant - look for them". God always has a remnant otherwise His plans would be thwarted. Seth was a remnant. Noah was a remnant. Shem was a remnant. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, Joseph, Moses, Joshua, etc were remnants although pretty much on their own. Elijah felt alone and discouraged, like "what's the use?", but God knew of 7000 others who would join him. Paul would go to cities and they would all reject him but there would be a Lydia, or a Dorcas, or an Aquilla and Priscilla that would believe.

          Today, as I go about my life, like the sower and seed parable, I just need to keep casting the seed, the Word of God, and not worry about wasting it. Some will hit good soil. I just need to daily pray for faithfulness and that God will bring some remnant in my path and "un-blind" their hearts to the Good news of Jesus Christ.

           Lord, You are not into results or numbers but into obedience and faithfulness resulting from what is most important to You, a love relationship with me. Help me to love You so much and love people so much that I share with them not because I have to but because I want for them what I have found that is the greatest thing in life - You! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment