Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Thoughts on 1Peter - Day 1


                                            1 Peter 1:1,2

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:
Grace and peace be yours in abundance.
 
 
            1 Peter is addressed to believers in the modern day region of Turkey. So much of Church history took place in this area. Antioch, the first thriving church mentioned in Acts was in Turkey. Paul's mission trips went throughout this area and a certain degree of revival broke out. The churches in Revelation seem to be in Turkey or this general area. In fact, Turkey has the second most Biblical sites second only to Israel. The fascinating thing about this is that 2000 years later, Christianity is at best 1% of the population and Islam is anywhere from 91-99%. What happened?? Certainly we could say that Islam came to the area on the tip of a sword, yet Christianity seems to thrive under persecution. Look at the church in China. The government has tried to stomp it out, yet the Christians in China will soon outnumber all the Christians in the world put together.

     I'm pretty sure that people much more qualified than me could answer what happened to Christianity in this area but all I know is I don't want it to happen here! And what is the answer? My guess is just keep evangelizing; just keep discipling. Don't let the faith die out with you. Reproduce yourself and multiply yourself. Did you witness to anyone today? Did you help a brother or sister to grow today? Peter says, don't do this as you working to get it done. Do it in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit which creates obedience to the commands of Christ as His power flowing out through us. What does that practically look like to me? Spending time with Him reading my Bible and praying in the morning and asking for Him to run my life, not me, and bringing people into my life whose hearts He has prepared to be open to spiritual things and then my eyes to be open to those people. That needs to be my daily prayer. That needs to be your daily prayer. Jesus said in Luke 18:8

" when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”  My answer is, "Yes, I am committed to seeing that happen" Are you?

     Lord, I have to admit that so often my mind is focused on getting through my day rather than using my day. Help me daily to see my day through your eyes not mine. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment