Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2016

Thoughts on Romans - Day 49




 Timothy, my co-worker, sends his greetings to you, as do Lucius, Jason and Sosipater, my fellow Jews.
22 I, Tertius, who wrote down this letter, greet you in the Lord.
23 Gaius, whose hospitality I and the whole church here enjoy, sends you his greetings.
Erastus, who is the city’s director of public works, and our brother Quartus send you their greetings.
25 Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, 26 but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith 27 to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.
 
    Quick, quote Romans 16:24. Haha. Another discussion for another time.
   
     Have you ever gone through a situation and you had no idea why, but many years later, God was gracious enough to show you why it happened? I have had several episodes like this but I will tell you about two, one with an immediate answer and one with a delayed answer. First the delayed. My wife and I had to endure a malpractice trial back in '89 for 32 week twins that were in the same sack and wrapped their cords around each other and died. I was sued and my wife and I sat through a week of harsh interrogation in a court in Knoxville. My wife wasn't involved, obviously, but sat by my side through it all and took it as hard as I did. Fortunately, the jury deliberated 20 minutes and came out with a not guilty plea and we were exonerated - justified. The immediate benefit was the closeness I developed with God during that time, who really was my Comforter. The long term explanation, partially probably, for why God let this happen was seen 20 years later when I talked with a Christian Counselor who had become my friend and he told me a story of how he heard about me. He was counseling a young attorney who had just lost a major malpractice case and then told the counselor about this couple who were the defendents and how they had something that he didn't and through that whole episode , he had come to faith in Christ. How awesome, huh? Well worth a year of pain.
 
      The next episode was when I was a High School senior and flew from Indianapolis to Rhinelander Wisconsin to a Bible camp to see my  long distance girlfriend who was going to be at camp. My parents sent me "standby" because it was cheaper and unfortunately I spent 24 hours in OHare airport because for some reason all the flights from Chicago to Rhinelander were full. All I had was my clothes I had on, which I had spilled my Coke on, on the first leg of the journey, and my fishing pole which when I finally arrived in Rhinelander sans luggage, I shut the car door on the tip of the pole and broke it.. Here I was, a kid at camp with soiled clothes, no luggage, no pole, and a girlfriend who was acting weird around me. Right before the week was up, the airline stated they had found my luggage at a Jewish Girl's Camp and if I could stay a few more days they would get it for me. Because of this, I stayed on to be a counselor at a youth week and heard a missionary speak who God used to change my life. I didn't understand what God was doing but soon I did.
 
       This is the situation Paul is talking about. All the sacrifices, feasts, dietary laws, etc. given in the law were a mystery until Christ, the perfect sacrifice, the Passover Lamb, the one who takes us from unclean to clean came and made things clear. They suddenly made sense. This was a long term reveal like my court case. Then, why would the Messiah who was going to bring about the redemption of Israel, why would he die? This was a short term reveal. He died to take away our sins and rose to give us life. Mysteries revealed! And here Paul sits with his posse of Quartus, Tertius, Timothy, Lucias, Jason, Sosipitar, Gaius, and Erastus and they are reflecting on the wisdom of God. What a marvelous plan He has. How big is God and his ways so much higher than ours. Paul concludes the letter with these thoughts. It's kind of like he is saying, "I have told you everything you need to know and explained it as best as I can but it is so much bigger than this. Seek God for yourself. Don't just take my thoughts and make them yours but let God teach you through His Holy Spirit using my thoughts as a framework to know when you are heading off into left field "(I'm sure they didn't have a left field) "We will see you soon and compare notes and tell God stories. See you!"
 
      Lord, help me to develop this kind of friendship and fellowship not based on things of this world but on the wonder of how great you are and what you have done and are doing in us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment