Search This Blog

Friday, September 30, 2016

Thoughts on Luke - Day 30

                                                 Luke 7:18-28

 John’s disciples told him about all these things. Calling two of them, 19 he sent them to the Lord to ask, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”
20 When the men came to Jesus, they said, “John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, ‘Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?’”
21 At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. 22 So he replied to the messengers, “Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. 23 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”
24 After John’s messengers left, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind? 25 If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear expensive clothes and indulge in luxury are in palaces. 26 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 27 This is the one about whom it is written:
“‘I will send my messenger ahead of you,
    who will prepare your way before you.’
28 I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.”
 
       Doubt. I guess it's normal. The greatest man ever - John the Baptist had doubts. I don't think I have struggled with this much. I believe the Bible is true and have based my life on its truths. True confession is that I do doubt that when I pray, God will intervene. How many people have I prayed for dying of cancer that God has healed? Maybe zero? Yet I do pray because I am commanded to and I know without a shadow of doubt that there is a God in Heaven, seated to the left of Jesus, who hears my prayers and is able to heal - I just doubt He will. That is the doubt I wrestle with. But to doubt, like John, that Jesus was and is the Son of God, always shocks me somewhat. What caused that?
 
      Maybe the thing that caused it was difficult circumstances. John was arrested, languishing in prison for calling a sin a sin, and not knowing his future, sensing his purpose for life was over, and maybe like a child actor - wrestling with the fact that he was no longer relevant or desired, or esteemed. Besides that, this person Jesus, who was doing all these mighty deeds like even raising the dead, can't get His main man and cousin out of jail? Maybe He really isn't who I thought He was.  I think this may be why Jesus says that people fall away on account of Him - He doesn't act like we think He should. He doesn't heal the people we think He should. He lets the "innocent" suffer. He doesn't stop natural disasters. He doesn't deliver us from what we are going through. He just doesn't act like we think God should act sometimes. (thankfully or we would all go to Hell) It could be that the reason I haven't experienced these kind of doubts in my life is that I have lived a charmed life. I have never been in John's sandals.

     What is the cure for doubt? I see 2 things. First and foremost the word of God. Jesus quotes scripture and says basically that when the Messiah comes, these miraculous events will identify Him and these events are indeed happening. Maybe you are having doubts because you are filling your mind with secular thinking rather than Biblical thinking. When is the last time that you got into God's word and soaked it in. Col. 2:8 TLB says
 "Don’t let others spoil your faith and joy with their philosophies, their wrong and shallow answers built on men’s thoughts and ideas, instead of on what Christ has said."
This verse says that if you are struggling with your faith, maybe you are spending too much time filling your mind with the empty philosophies of this world. We should rather fill our minds with the words of Christ. Let God's words lift you and build you up. Let Him encourage you.

      The second cure for doubt is to surround yourself with fellow believers. When doubting, John called for his boys to share with him the words of Christ. Maybe you are doubting because you aren't spending time in fellowship or if you are having fellowship, it isn't the kind that occasionally talks about spiritual things. I've had a lot of football watching parties at my house with friends from church, but I'm not sure any of them had a time where we brought Christ into the mix. I'm not saying that is bad, I'm just saying that my faith wasn't strengthened by those parties. The number one faith strengthening exercise - go out witnessing with a brother or sister.

      Lord, thank You for the hope, which is confident assurance, that You have given me that You are who You said You were, that You have saved me, and that You are coming back for me. Help me to encourage others with this hope. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment