Search This Blog

Monday, May 29, 2023

Thoughts From Hebrews - Day 44


                                              Hebrews 13:4-6


 Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
“Never will I leave you;
    never will I forsake you.”

So we say with confidence,
“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
    What can mere mortals do to me?”


            This is the second reference to sexual immorality in as many chapters. The first related it to Esau who to satisfy his craving gave up his future for the immediate gratification of his hunger. Faith is living for the unseen future knowing that it is going to be infinitely better than the present because God said so. The author of Hebrews is reminding us to live Godly lives of faith through the example of Esau.

            This passage groups sexual immorality with money, greed, contentment and fear. How so? I once was talking at the dinner table with a very rich man with multiple businesses in the tourism and entertainment fields. This man is not a follower of Christ unfortunately. I asked him a simple question - "How do you know when to stop expanding?" You see, with me being a doctor, I can max out. I can only see so many patients in a day and that's it. He looked at me with a puzzled look as if to say, "never", although he didn't answer and changed the subject as if my question had gone deeper than our superficial relationship had allowed. When you get married you stop expanding. You have maxed out for life like the above video says. Can you" be content with the wife (husband) of your youth?" Half the population can't and I would like to say the Church is immune but the statistics are not that much different.

"May your fountain be blessed,
    and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.
                             Prov. 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment