Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

I've Got A case of the "I Can't Help Its"

   "As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.” Acts 4:20

            After Pentecost occurred, the disciples, filled with the Holy Spirit, went into thje marketplaces proclaiming the gospel and had such an effect that the religious rulers, who were responsible for Christ's crucifixion, had them arrested. They were interrogated, intimidated, beaten, and threatened with worse if they continued to preach salvation in Jesus. Without batting an eye they responded as we see in the above passage. It was basically I would if I could but I can't help myself.

    I think of some other verses like

"For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died." 2 Cor. 5:14

But if I say, “I will not mention his word or speak anymore in his name,” his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot. Jer.20:9

    We so often approach our faith in "I must" rather than "I get to". I must have a quiet time, I must pray, I must witness, I must go to church"... rather than "I get to read my Bible, I get to spend intimate time with my savior, I get to share with people all the good things God has done, I get to meet with fellow believers in joint worship"...

    When I am on a trip away from home, the first thing I will do is tell people about my wife, my 4 kids and their spouses, and my nine grandchildren and counting. Why? Because I have to? No. The love of them compels me. I can't hold it in. It's too wonderful to contain. I have a case of the "I can't help its"!

      Do you love God like this? Do you have a case of the "I got to's" or "I get to's"?

No comments:

Post a Comment