Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2016

Thoughts on Romans - Day 6


                             Romans 2:25 - 3:18
25 Circumcision has value if you observe the law, but if you break the law, you have become as though you had not been circumcised. 26 So then, if those who are not circumcised keep the law’s requirements, will they not be regarded as though they were circumcised? 27 The one who is not circumcised physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker.
28 A person is not a Jew who is one only outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. 29 No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.

3 What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? Much in every way! First of all, the Jews have been entrusted with the very words of God.
What if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify God’s faithfulness? Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written:
“So that you may be proved right when you speak
    and prevail when you judge.”
But if our unrighteousness brings out God’s righteousness more clearly, what shall we say? That God is unjust in bringing his wrath on us? (I am using a human argument.) Certainly not! If that were so, how could God judge the world? Someone might argue, “If my falsehood enhances God’s truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?” Why not say—as some slanderously claim that we say—“Let us do evil that good may result”? Their condemnation is just!
What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. 10 As it is written:
“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11     there is no one who understands;
    there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
    they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
    not even one.”
13 “Their throats are open graves;
    their tongues practice deceit.”
“The poison of vipers is on their lips.”
14     “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16     ruin and misery mark their ways,
17 and the way of peace they do not know.”
18     “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
 
     Yesterday I looked at 3 sinful behaviors listed in the previous passage that blaspheme the name of Christ - make His name common or unholy - if we/I as a Christian am participating in. Those 3 behaviors are stealing, adultery, and idolatry. Paul isn't quite done with his point. He is further going to shame me by saying, just judging from the outside, sometimes non-Christians look more like a Christian than me. Sure, if you look at their heart you would see impure motives such as impressing people rather than God, but if you are going to say you are a Christian, here are some things you /I need to rein in.

     As I look at these I think I could group them all as sins of the tongue. First we start with unfaithfulness. Do you make promises you don't keep. Do I say, "I will pay you back", and then don't. Do I say, "I will pray for you" and don't. Do I say I will fulfill my job as a deacon, and don't. Do you say, "To have and to hold from this day forth as long as we both shall live",and then divorce your spouse? Why is the divorce rate in the Church approaching that of the world? Don't you think the world sees this? Don't you think that not keeping your word blasphemes God if you are identifying with Him?

        Next is lying. Satan is the father of lies, and God is the father of truth. This is a little different from unfaithfulness unless when you made the pledge, you never intended on keeping it. Superman once said to Lois, "Lois, I never lie". Can I say that? Can people say that about us? I once had someone tell me that lying, stealing, and cheating are a triad that always go together. If you want to kill three birds with one stone (I guess that isn't a PC idiom) stop lying!

        Lastly, "open graves, poisoned lips, cursing and bitterness" I would group together and say am I sarcastic, cutting, hurting with my words or am I seen as a Barnabas - an encourager. Do people come to me for encouragement or do they leave discouraged? Encouraging and being honest can take some effort so lets work on the filter from our mind to our lips.

       Lord, I want people to leave my presence saying, "If that is a Christian then I want to be one." I fall so far short of that and in fact, some unbelievers are more winsome than me. Forgive me for this and with your Holy Spirit inside me, help me be an accurate representation of You to a lost world. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment