Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2016

Thoughts On Romans - Day 11


                  Romans 5:6-8

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.


            I just watched an interview of Joni Erikson Tada where she said that every morning she preaches the gospel to herself. Tim Keller often says the same idea and that is that the gospel isn't just our entry point into Christianity but it is our way of life.

            I remember sitting in one of my first meeting on the board of the local Rescue ministry. (By the way, if you are ever asked to be on a board of something be prepared to raise money) Being the only ob/gyn in the surrounding 50 miles that would see patients without asking for them to pay before they are seen, I was inundated with the poor and also had millions of dollars of bad debt. (uncollectable bills). Before you feel bad for me, I still made a great living. One thing that bothered me was that these patients that could never afford to pay me even 5$ could always afford their cigarettes and new tattoos. Every single patient that I would see referred to me from the local indigent clinic, smoked. I shared this at the board meeting as a concern that before we give "these people" (don't ever use those words) any handouts, we should require them to participate in a smoking cessation class. One of the ministers on the board said, "Do you think we are helping 'these people' because they are deserving? I'm glad God didn't withhold His Son until we were deserving." Ouch! You know a principle I learned in my medical training was that if someone was harsh with me over something I did, I never forgot the lesson. I have never forgotten this either.

         I was doing one part of the Gospel right, God didn't demand payment up front when He sent Jesus. I too was offering care up front before being paid. I was living out the gospel in that part of my practice. However, in keeping with the gospel I needed to remember that just as Christ died for me while I was undeserving, I too must lovingly, without resentment offer care to people whom God created and loves as much as He loves me, even though they are unworthy and often ungrateful (poor people are often looking to sue because it could be their meal ticket).I needed to see myself completely the same as them in God's eyes before I could stop judging them. This is just 2 examples of what it means to daily live out the gospel and preach the gospel to yourself. That's my arena... what about yours? 

        Lord, to imply that I have completely dealt with all these areas and am past them is a lie. I need Your help today to live out the Gospel. Thank You for giving me your Spirit which helps me do the impossible. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment