Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Thoughts on Romans - Day 8


                                         Romans 4:1-11

What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
“Blessed are those
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”
Is this blessedness only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? We have been saying that Abraham’s faith was credited to him as righteousness. 10 Under what circumstances was it credited? Was it after he was circumcised, or before? It was not after, but before! 11 And he received circumcision as a sign, a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. So then, he is the father of all who believe but have not been circumcised, in order that righteousness might be credited to them.
 
              As boss over 10 people, I am responsible for their hiring, firing, job description, raises, bonuses, paychecks, etc. One issue that surfaces with me occasionally is their lack of thankfulness. I know this goes both ways but let me focus on them since it is my blog :)  I remember one January giving them all what I felt to be decent raises, and a month later none of them had thanked me. several months later it stewed in me so long that I let it out something like this ..."I'm thinking about not giving raises next year because none of you thanked me for your raises this year." They all then thanked me except for one who speaks her mind said, "I deserved that raise - I worked hard. Bonuses I will thank you for but I don't feel like I need to thank you for my paycheck or raises." I remember firing several people (not her) who came back afterwards wondering if I gave out bonuses that month because they deserved one because they worked most of the month. I guess even bonuses are "deserved" if you give them on a regular basis? I often am not thanked for the Christmas bonuses because most jobs give those and therefore they are expected?
 
        I'm not venting here, I'm sure I would do the same, I'm just trying to explain the above passage in real life terms. We don't give thanks for anything we perceive to have earned. If we are saved by being a good person and doing good works, we will stand before God someday and if He asks you why should I let you in, our response would be, I deserve it. I am entitled to Heaven. But if it is by God's grace (unmerited favor), we would say, "I am unworthy, but I by faith have trusted in your Son's death on the cross for my sins", our salvation would be totally unworthy, we would be eternally thankful and everlasting glory would be given to God not us. We aren't just talking about Heaven here - if I think that I am earning Heaven in the future down here, what is there to be thankful for. I would live an expectant entitled life without joy and thanksgiving upset with others who aren't as good as me. Thanksgiving is the hallmark of a life aware of the grace of God.
 
     Lord, I go through life in a very ungrateful manor. Help me to have a thankful attitude throughout my day aware of the depths of my sinfulness and extent of your grace to me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment