Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Thoughts on Romans - Day 18


                                         Romans 7:7-13

What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10 I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. 11 For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.
13 Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

         I was thinking about Abraham, Noah, Lot, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, and all those who came before the law. I sure am more judgmental of them than I think God was. Abraham was afraid of people so much that he had his wife lie that she was his sister so they wouldn't kill him and steal her (twice). His son Isaac did the same thing with his wife. Noah got drunk and lay naked then cursed his son who made fun of him. Lot lived in Sodom and got so drunk that his daughters had children by him. Judah solicited a prostitute which happened to be his daughter in law. Jacob tricked his blind dad into thinking he was someone else and his sons sold their brother into slavery because they disliked him. These are our heroes. They are in the hall of faith in Heb. 11

       Could it be that they were "graded" only on their faith rather than their bad behavior? Abraham left his country and offered up Isaac because he believed God. Noah built an ark because he believed God was going to flood the Earth. Lot left with the tunic on his back believing God was going to torch Sodom. We are saved by faith not the law. The law was given to show us our need for a savior to lead us to faith in God's sacrifice of His son. The honor God gives to those behaving badly in Genesis only confirms salvation by faith not works.

        Karen gets upset with me when I get upset with the grandchildren for hitting each other, grabbing things away from the other one, etc. I think, "how can they be so naughty" and get frustrated with them. Karen says, "maybe they don't know it is a sin. Have you ever told them it's a sin?" She's right. They are acting sinful because they are sinners, but like the patriarchs, maybe they don't know what sin is. Our job as parents and grandparents is not to referee, distract, put in time out, separate the kids but rather teach that their behavior is contrary to God's will - sinful - and eventually point them to a savior who will take away those sins.

         Lord, I confess that I can't keep your law. Coveting? Who doesn't?! I need forgiveness. Thank you for sending your only son to die for my sins. Cleanse my heart and give me a heart that doesn't want to sin. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment