Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Thoughts on Romans - Day 7



                                         Romans 3:19-31
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.
21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.
27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31 Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

             Paul has been warning people about certain sins. In late chapter 1 he lists a host of sins of the body and in chapter 2 he lists some sins of the soul - the mind. He makes a case that just because you look good on the outside, you may not look good on the inside and we are all sinful. He then goes on to say that you may even go to church or be religious but are you stealing, committing sexual sins, worshipping things above God, lying, not a person of your word, and abrasive - you better check and see if you really are a follower of Christ.

            We might get the idea that being a Christian is a matter of not doing all the above things and in exchange being as zealous as Paul. Who can do that?? And that's the point. The law only shows us how far short we come of God. We can't get to God by being good because we can't be good enough.

          Enter the grace of God. What club do you know of whose only entrance qualification is that you admit you are bad? That you are weak? That you are a loser? Maybe alcoholics anonymous. Maybe rehab. I guess we could call Christianity SA - Sinners Anonymous. We check in and say, I'm Jim and I'm a sinner. I can't stop and I need help. I hear Jesus will take all my sins away and give me a fresh start and come inside of me to change my desires and make me want to do good instead of bad all the time. I've come by faith because He is my only hope. I'm desperate! Jesus steps into the room and says, "I've been expecting you" -haha (but true). "it's done"

         Therefore, where is boasting? It only can be boasting what God did for you. Where do works fit in? Only after God comes into your life and performs them through you as we do them to glorify, no longer blaspheming, the name of our new Father as we are adopted into His family.

        Lord, strip away all my pride because without You I am hopeless. Help me not to look down on anyone today because I know that I am just like them apart from you. Point me in the direction of people that are ready to admit they can't make it without you, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment